Introduction to project
The thing I find most interesting about polyurethane is that when mixed from a 2 part liquid it can expand 6 times its volume. I wanted to find a cheaper way of moulding this material into a form than using a metal mould. So I started by sewing and filling different types of fabrics, most leaked and didn't allow in enough oxygen needed for the process. However, this faux leather allowed for stretch and held the foam.
I made a stool prototype to show how this could be used on a larger scale. However, I am in the process of experimenting using tension (see image of string and balloon inflation) like rope and bungie cord to control the foam and create interesting characteristics to the design.